Low Carb Instant Pot Mexican Chicken… tender shredded Mexican chicken full of bold spicy flavor. Ready in just minutes, it’s a perfect weeknight dinner recipe.
You will love this recipe, it’s one of our first Instant Pot recipes and is incredibly versatile. I have to say the Instant Pot opened up a whole new world of “faster but still just as delicious” recipes for us… like this one!
How To Make Shredded Mexican Chicken:
This shredded Mexican chicken is going to become a staple in your home! It’s ready in less than 30 minutes, making it perfect for meal-prep… and it’s also gluten-free!
If you want a version with less kick, just remove a couple of the chipotle peppers.
How to make Instant Pot Mexican Chicken:
- Add diced fire roasted tomatoes, chipotle peppers to the instant pot along with Mexican seasonings and lime juice… combine thoroughly.
- Immerse chicken breasts in the liquid then seal the instant pot and cook for 20 minutes on high pressure.
- After cooking, manually release the pressure nozzle by rotating it to “Venting.” Be careful of the escaping hot steam!
- Transfer chicken to a large platter or cutting board and use two forks to shred it. Then put it in a large mixing bowl.
- Use a hand immersion blender to puree the tomato mixture left in the instant pot.
- Pour ½ the sauce over the chicken, and gently fold together.
- Add more sauce if needed, or use it as a drizzle on each individual serving.
- 14.5 ounces canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 5 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, (use 2 peppers for a less spicy version)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (juice from 1/2 lime)
- 3 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast
- Add 1 can of diced fire roasted tomatoes and 5 chipotle peppers to the instant pot. Mash peppers with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Add minced garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, smoked paprika, and lime juice.
- Stir the mixture, then add chicken breasts. Coat chicken in the tomato mixture, then seal the instant pot.
- Set the instant pot for 20 minutes of high-pressure cooking and set the steam release valve to “Sealing.” After 10 minutes of pressure cooking, the chicken will be fully cooked, but won't necessarily be “shreddable.” At 15 minutes, most of the chicken will shred. After 20 minutes, the chicken shreds easily and it’s still nice and moist. (This is my personal recommendation). At 30 minutes, the chicken shreds effortlessly, but it could potentially be a bit dry.
- The instant pot will actually take 10-15 minutes to pressurize, then it will cook the chicken for 20 minutes. Once cooking has completed, manually release the pressure nozzle by rotating it to "Venting." Be careful of the escaping hot steam.
- Remove the lid and transfer the chicken to a large platter or cutting board.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken, leaving some of it in small chunks so it still has a little texture.
- Use a hand immersion blender to puree the tomato mixture left in the instant pot (or transfer to a regular blender). It should thicken up and yield a little over 2 cups of sauce.
- Put chicken in a large mixing bowl and pour ½ the sauce over it.
- Gently use a spatula to fold the sauce into the chicken. Add more sauce if needed, or use it as a drizzle on each individual serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 4-6 ounces
Amount Per Serving Calories 400Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 193mgSodium 625mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 71g
Our latest low carb recipes…
- Low Carb Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Low Carb Cabbage Roll Soup (Gluten Free)
- Low Carb Grilled Chili Lime Gulf Shrimp
- Low Carb Broccoli Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Low Carb Parmesan Turkey Meatballs (Gluten Free)