These Low Carb French Onion Chicken Meatballs are tender, baked gluten-free chicken meatballs in a French onion sauce, smothered in Havarti and Gruyère cheese.
These meatballs are incredibly versatile! Wrap them in some green leaf lettuce and enjoy low-carb, gluten-free, keto meatballs like the ketonic boss you are!
Or eat them straight up by the truckload. If some of the family isn’t counting carbs, tuck them into dinner rolls for a crowd-pleasing slider. Or pair them with some cooked penne pasta or orzo, and dinner is served!
You could even go back to the original inspiration and make these into a delicious gluten-free French onion meatball soup: just add several cups of beef stock!
How to make low carb French onion chicken meatballs:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all the meatball ingredients to a large mixing bowl: ground chicken, Parmesan cheese, almond meal, fresh chopped parsley, chopped onion, egg, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients well until everything is combined.
- Use a 1½ – inch scoop to form meatballs and space them evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they reach 165 degrees
- While the meatballs are baking, saute sliced onions in olive oil and butter until very soft and golden – about 25 minutes. Stir often.
- Add minced garlic and cook 1 more minute, then add beef broth, fresh thyme, onion powder, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Then add the baked meatballs to the skillet and cook about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over the meatballs and cover the pan until it melts, about 3-5 minutes. Serve them warm, and garnish with fresh thyme.
We know you’ll love these easy, cheesy, French onion chicken meatballs as much as we do!
For The Chicken Meatballs:
- 1 egg
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup almond meal for gluten free version (or bread crumbs if preferred)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound 93% lean ground chicken
For The French Onion Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces shredded Gruyère cheese (see Note about cheeses below)
- 6 ounces shredded Havarti cheese (see Note about shredding the Havarti, below)
To Make The Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all meatball ingredients: ground chicken, Parmesan cheese, almond meal, fresh chopped parsley, chopped onion, egg, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix until everything is combined.
- Using a 1½ - inch scoop, form meatballs and place them evenly spaced on the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until internal temperature is 165F.
To Make The French Onion Sauce:
- While the meatballs are baking: In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and butter. Add onions and cook until very soft and golden, 25 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the minced garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add beef broth, fresh thyme, onion powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the baked meatballs to the skillet and cook about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese over the meatballs and cover the pan until it melts, about 3-5 minutes. Serve them warm, and garnish with fresh thyme.
- We recommend freezing the Havarti for at least 30 minutes before you attempt to shred it, because it is a very soft cheese!
- If you can’t find Gruyère cheese you can swap it for any combination of: Jarlsberg, Asiago, a mix of Fontina/Parmesan, Swiss, Havarti or Gouda.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 133Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 45mgSodium 364mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 9g
This nutrition card uses an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. This estimate is not a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice!
More low carb appetizer recipes…
- Low Carb Garlic Parmesan Wings (Instant Pot)
- Low Carb Spinach Artichoke Dip (Instant Pot)
- Low Carb French Onion Chicken Meatballs
- Low Carb Baked Brie with Bacon and Caramelized Onions
- Low Carb Buffalo Cauliflower with Blue Cheese Sauce